The main street of St.. Wojciech, starting in the vicinity of Stary Przedmieście. Coaches #, 151, 154, 189, 256, 207, 232 and B have stops here on the route from the city center – from the railway station.

At the southern gates of the city lay the village of Orunia, already mentioned in the document from 1356 r. Orunia is an old district situated on the international route E75 and on the railway route from Tczew. Those arriving by train from this side are greeted by a hilly landscape with modest allotment houses. Only the tower of St. Mary's Church, proud in the background, heralds the great city. Trade route, which made Orunia a thriving village from the Middle Ages (with mills, a sawmill and an inn), during wars and invasions it turned into a war route, which foreign armies wreaked havoc in the area. Despite the cyclical invasions, Orunia had happier times, when the patricians of Gdańsk established their residences here. Today this district of Gdańsk looks like a typical poor suburb: there are many houses with dilapidated facades, stores resemble former GS outlets, with the only difference, that more goods in them. Orunia can be visited by your own means of transport or on foot, but two rules must be followed: not to walk alone and not to venture into suspicious places.

St.. Ignacy Loyola

Following the initial section of St.. Wojciech, you pass the former suburb called Stare Scots on the west side, where in years 1351-1382 Weavers and other craftsmen from Scotland settled down. W XVII w. these areas belonged to the bishops of Kuyavia. At the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. the Jesuits built the church of St.. Ignacy Loyola, simple shape, no tower, with a facade that is today pink and decorated with baroque pilasters, figurines and portals. There was a Jesuit college at the temple – unfortunately, torn down during the Napoleonic wars. The pupil of this school was, among others, the author of the text of the national anthem – Józef Wybicki.

The walls of the interior of the church are covered with a restored polychrome. On a sunny day, the paintings sparkle with colors so beautifully, that one can forget about the excess of form over substance, typical of Baroque art.

The 18th-century furnishings shine with gilding; The intricately carved confessionals and the reliquaries standing in the presbytery are particularly interesting. If only the permission of the parish priest is obtained, it is also worth visiting the gloomy crypt decorated with skulls.

In front of the church, to the right, there is a wooden baroque belfry (coming from 1777 r.) ended with a domed turret. It is so different from solid, elegant body of the church and so unique in shape, that her image dominates the memories of the entire church complex of St.. Ignatius.

Żuławy house

At distance 20 a minute's walk south of the Jesuit temple, on the odd side of St.. Woja breathtaking neo-Gothic church with which there is a forge of 1800 r. invisible from the main street, because it is covered with gray houses. It is a half-timbered arcaded house, that were built in Żuławy for centuries: with a sloping roof, small windows and an extended storey resting on the 3 wooden poles (the so-called. arcade). The Gdańsk smithy is not very typical, because she looks so tiny, as if it were built not for a broad-shouldered blacksmith, but for midgets.

New Gardens and surroundings

From Waly Jagiellońskie, at the area of ​​Targ Drzewny, Hucisko Street runs to the west a bit south of the railway station, which, after the railway viaduct, becomes a street called Nowe Ogrody. It is a remnant of the old Kartuzy route. Important institutions are located at the New Gardens, such as the City Hall, Provincial Court (just behind him is a gloomy prison) and the Provincial Hospital. North of the New Gardens, on the hills, there is a large area of ​​greenery, limited from the west by Dąbrowskiego Street and from the east – street 3 May. This place, where fortifications were built during the Swedish wars, it is known as the Napoleonic Redoubt, for forts and defensive walls, the remains of which can still be found among trees and shrubs, they were created, inter alia, during the Napoleonic wars.

This entry was posted in Information and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.