The most beautiful district of Gdańsk is situated between Wrzeszcz and Sopot – Oil – adjacent to the forests of the Tricity National Park. To the west of the avenue there are the most important historic buildings and the main tourist attractions of this part of the city. A suburban train and trams go to Oliwa from the Main Railway Station #6 i 12, and from Wrzeszcz #15. On the eastern side of ul. Grunwaldzka is dominated by modern residential districts, such as: Przymorze (with the longest skyscrapers in Poland, the so-called. with waveforms) or Żabianka; they give old Olive a second face – monstrously modern. Fortunately, a large pre-war district has survived, situated between the streets of Polanki, Grunwaldzka and Abraham.
At the beginning there was the Oliwa Stream, and then only the settlement and its name. W 1186 r. The Cistercians brought by prince Sambor received 7 surrounding villages and began the difficult work of developing their property. The abbey was soon established, church, farm buildings and mills, modern cultivation methods have also been introduced. W XIII w. The Cistercians were attacked twice by the Prusai, palace, murdering and robbing. After them, the "civilized" Teutonic Knights did the same twice, what their pagan predecessors did. Despite these misfortunes, the abbey continued and the village grew, whose inhabitants were proud of the protectorate of the magnificent Cistercian church, and at the same time the necropolis of Pomeranian dukes: Subisław, Sambora, Mszczujów, Świętopełków and others. W 1874 r. Oliwa, with the population of nearly four thousand, received city rights, and half a century later it became a district of Gdańsk.
Park in. Adam Mickiewicz
There is a tram roundabout to the west of the SKM station, the busy street of Abbot Jacek Rybiński is reflected from it (block al. Grunwaldzka), at which there is the main entrance to the former abbots park. Already in the Middle Ages there was a cultivated garden here, gradually transformed into decorative. The present shape of the garden was designed in the 18th century. In an area with an area of 13 he has, among varied greenery, elaborately trimmed shrubs, dammed stream waters and modern sculptures you can relax, "Pass" a date or a secret meeting and take a leisurely walk. You can also feed the inhabitants of the park – fatty carps in ponds and hundreds of ducks and pigeons. In winter, small hills turn into excellent toboggan runs for the youngest. In the eastern part of the park there is a high orangery, in which several meters long palm trees rustle, lianas and other tropical plants.
Admission to the park is free, from May to September it is open from. 5.00-23.00, in March, April and October 5.00-20.00, and in winter 5.00-8.00. The conservatory is open to walkers from mid-May to the end of September.
The most important buildings in the vicinity of the park are the Oliwa Cathedral and the Abbots' Palace. Oliveska Cathedral, which is primarily associated with organs, is a famous church and important also for other reasons. Kings used to visit her – Władysław Łokietek, Kazimierz Jagiellończyk, Zygmunt August, Jan III Sobieski, August II, August III – and in our time political figures come here, science and the Church. It is referred to as the "Wawel of the North" and it is probably no exaggeration. The fame and beauty of the cathedral and the annual concerts attract not only tourists, but also the inhabitants of the Tri-City.
The capital of Pomeranian Cistercians
The first temple was built by the Cistercians in stages: from mid. XII do XIV w. in the Romanesque style, Romanesque-Gothic, and later gothic. After the great fire of 1350 r., the monks rebuilt the church, giving it its present-day external form. W 1577 r. Cistercians, contrary to the position of the inhabitants of Gdańsk, recognized King Stefan Batory as the rightful ruler, thus exposing the church to the attack of the commoners incited by the councilors. Then the gothic interior fittings burned down. Polish kings and Pomeranian nobles helped the hosts in another reconstruction. Since then, within 4 centuries, the temple was enriched with altars, images, sculptures and – organs. W 1831 r. the Prussian authorities liquidated the monastery, and the church was renamed the parish. The cathedral became v 1925 r., a 50 years later it became a minor basilica.
Modest Wawel of the North
When viewed from the outside, the cathedral does not make a monumental impression. Monastery buildings, which houses the theological seminary, on one side and a park screen on the other, they suppress the size of the church and distract attention. Facade of the nave (rebuilt in 1771 r.) it is tucked between the slender, brick towers covered with identical pyramidal helmets. The white wall of the facade raises doubts: "Is this the cathedral??”And makes me point out: "But it is smaller than St. Mary's Basilica!”. This is the cathedral! A door leads to the interior of the church, enclosed in a beautiful baroque column portal (with 1688 r.) and down a few steps, as the floor level is below ground level.
The richness of the interior
In the temple, decorated in the Renaissance style, baroque and rococo, order and harmony reign, rarely found in other churches. The contrast of the dark color of the benches is delightful, picture frames, altars with bright white walls and vaults with rich gilded ornaments. The church is long on 107 m, has three aisles, ambit (workaround) around the presbytery and transept, that is, the nave that cuts the nave at right angles.