After leaving the Church of St. Catherine, with the main entrance behind it, it becomes face to face with the Great Mill situated on the other side of Podmłyńska Street. Before heading towards its red walls, however, it is worth paying attention to the so-called Little Mill, standing in the garden to the left of the church of St.. Catherine, over the Radunia Channel.
The building is low, coming from 1400 r., completely rebuilt after the war, is the seat of the Polish Angling Association. Once, despite the name, acted as a grain store. More interesting than the modern interior is the surroundings of Mały Młyn hidden by the Radunia Canal, among greenery.
Rzeczka, enclosed by quite high walls, it flows like in a canyon, imitating the moat that used to surround the city.
Opposite the Church of St.. Catherine is surrounded by two arms of the Radunia Channel, on which it stands lumpy, Great Mill covered with a steep red roof. It looks like a huge pile of bricks, from which a huge chimney protrudes. From the bridges leading to the mill, you can observe the race of dammed water that smells of seaweed and stone, a cold winter – ice cascades, from under which the river still gushes swiftly. The pigeons, usually cooing happily, sit on the semi-circular roof windows.
Modern boutiques contrast with the austerity of the interior, because there is a modern shopping center in the mill. The shops occupy the bottom and two galleries running around the walls, a glass elevator runs between them.
Leaving a wide space from the ground to the roof itself emphasizes the enormity of the building. The chimney is divided into two storeys… minibars, and right in front of it, the glazed floor reveals massive foundations and stone burrs.
The Great Mill built by the Teutonic Knights approx. 1350 r. was the largest industrial plant in medieval Europe. It ground the grain with eighteen diameter wheels 5 m, moved with water from artificially created Radunia channels. The high roof covered the warehouses, in which rye was stored. Barley, wheat and malt. The great chimney testifies to this, that bread was also baked in the mill for the local population. Do 1454 r. the building was under the care of the Gdańsk commander, and later Kazimierz Jagiellończyk gave it to the City Council. Do XVII w. the mill equipment was operated by twenty-two employees; their superior, in the image of today's foreman, was the so-called wimmaster. In the first half of the 19th century. steam mills were installed here, and then electric. Before the outbreak of World War II, during which the mill and its equipment completely burned down, were produced here daily 200 tons of flour.