Szeroka Street in Gdańsk
Szeroka Street, parallel to Święty Ducha Street, runs straight from the north, from the Sobieski Monument, to the south it stretches as far as Żuraw. The most famous object, attracting from 1598 r. gourmets and sybarites is the Pod Łososiem restaurant (Wide 51/54, tel.3017652) serving great grilled salmon.
Dom Pod Łososiem
A large wooden signboard with the image of a salmon, which burned down during the last war, it attracted not only amateurs of great cuisine, but also lovers of the wonderful Golden Gdańsk Vodka (Goldwasser), whose factory was right here. The mysterious recipe of a noble drink, in which gold flakes float, brought to Gdańsk the Dutchman Ambrose Vermollen, banished from his homeland for Mennonitism. He received a permit from city councilors to produce vodka, and his heirs established their own tavern on Szeroka Street, without passing which visits to the city were invalid. Famous travelers used to come here, sailors, armatorzy, diplomats, artists, philosophers and tourists. Caution! There are quite high prices here. The long waiting time for the execution of the order can be made even more pleasant by admiring the 18th-century silverware set in the restaurant, models of sailing ships and images of old Gdańsk.
The first successful gastric surgery, recorded in the history of medicine, carried out in 1635 r. Gdańsk doctor Daniel Schwabe. A certain man, supposedly a friend of King Władysław IV, showing off to his comrades with his magical abilities, he accidentally swallowed the knife. Schwabe operated on him and the patient lived well for many years. There has always been work for doctors in Gdańsk, because frequent fights in taverns and in the port, and not very healthy Gdańsk cuisine – heavy and profuse, causing gastric disorders and avitaminosis, they were giving them patients. Plagues plaguing the city and taking thousands of lives, as do obstetric infections in childbirth, they were a real bane of powerless demons. Od XV w., when a special feature of doctors and surgeons was formed, four plates in two rows hung over the door, they announced “clinics”. A very popular medicine for everything, eagerly ascribed by medics in the 16th century., was the so-called “God's grace” (the juice of the loafer and wineskin with the addition of white wine, pine resin, wax, myrrh, incense, mastic, turpentine and galban lipoin). Unfortunately, only the rich could afford it. The doctors from Gdańsk were really good specialists; they were able to remove stones from the bladder and heal cataracts. W 1636 r. founded Collegium Medicum – first medical room, which was to ensure a high level of treatment.
People drank a lot and were well in Gdańsk. The wealthy were sipping in the 17th century. sweet Spanish wines, Malmasje, Madeira, French Bordeaux and Rhine Rizlings. Honey, widespread among the Polish nobility (see Zagłoba), did not enjoy the success of sophisticated Gdańsk residents. Goldwasser was enjoyed with pleasure, spicy vodka and flask (it is by no means the type of bottle that is carried in the breast pocket) – an excellent healing agent. W XVII w. coffee and tea began to be used.
At the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. the first public cafes and tea rooms and the first heavy tobacco smokers appeared.
In rich houses, the basis of the menu was meat and bread, in the poor – pea, groats with bacon and meat during the holidays. Ever since ships full of exotic goods began to arrive from distant lands, gdańszczanie, fond of food, they started to create their own kitchen, far from Prussian monotony and heaviness, such, in which the "multinational" composition became known. They have become typical dishes of Gdańsk: e.g.. violet soup, nut soup, Steamed crayfish walking on the table, sauerkraut cake etc.. A huge amount of spices was added to the dishes, which – as it was believed then – cleanse the blood, sharpened wit and increased potency. The inhabitants of Gdańsk also attached great importance to the table setting, which – always covered with large tablecloths, it buckled under the valuable tableware. In the museum at ul. Toruńska, there is a wooden plate covered with a painting by Piotr Breughel himself, which is an example of a stand for a special kind of bread (Workshopbrot).
North of Szeroka Street, between Dominikański Square and Motława, there is a gothic brick church of St.. Jana, once the most important building of the 14th-century New Town built by the Teutonic Knights.
The habit of burying the bodies under the floor on several levels and the wet ground caused the walls to weaken. The deviation of the eastern wall can be seen with the naked eye. The chancel was built in the 14th century., and the current three-nave building comes from the second half of the 15th century. Many of the surviving pieces of equipment went to other Gdańsk churches (mainly to the Basilica of the Blessed Virgin Mary).
The most valuable object among the others in the church of St.. Jana is 12 meters high – unfortunately damaged – marble and stone altar, the work of Abraham van den Blocke z 1611 r.
In the church of St.. John, scenes for the movie Kolumbowieintage were shot 20. In years 80. and at the beginning 90. they prowled here at night… cemetery hyenas, that is, crypt-plundering thieves.