Grodzka Street and its surroundings
Like many other streets in Gdańsk, whose names are related to historical events or famous people, Grodzka owes its name to a historical fact – a medieval stronghold stood in this place, which was demolished in the 14th century. In its place, the Teutonic Knights erected a castle. Today Grodzka is a street of contrasts: small buildings with cluttered yards and cells that used to serve their poor inhabitants, in times of "capitalism" they are used as headquarters of companies, companies and institutions. Therefore, no one is surprised to see a horse shuffling with a coal cart, passing western cars parked on the sidewalks.
Granary Under the Deer
At Grodzka Street there is a nicely renovated granary called Pod Jeleniem z 1771 r.
The upper part of the front elevation of the granary is decorated with a wooden figure of a seated deer, from which the building got its name. Before the popularization of street numbering, the figure was the hallmark of the property.
Czopowa Street runs parallel to Grodzka and, just like her, is short, deserted and dangerous after dark. At the junction of Czopowa and Rycerska Streets, the old brewery buildings are in poor condition, giving an idea of the Gdańsk granary architecture. The northern end of Rycerska Street is also the beginning of Dylinki Street, which runs east to Sukiennicza Street. Lasting longer than 10 a minute walk through these bends can result in a street deja vu. To avoid it and not lose your bearings, just go north along Sukiennicza Street, towards the roofs and chimneys of the building of the former Polish Post, which dominate the landscape.
The three-story building at Obroncow Poczty Polskiej Square is very quickly accessible through the Sukiennicza courtyards. Already from a considerable distance, the unusual 8-meter-high monument in honor of the defenders of 1939 r. The building material determines the uniqueness of the monument, as well as the way of expressing the content: the statue's stainless steel reflects a white metallic glow off the gray granite cube substrate, shaped like the rising waves of the sea, it is like a rasp
metal against stone – this aesthetic effect makes a great impression on visitors to this place. The monument shows the death of a postman, which, in the supine position, hands the rifle erect above him Nike. Letters and a mail cap are scattered next to the fighter. It is one of the most interesting and suggestive monuments in Gdańsk. Above the main entrance to today's Post Office, as well as the Museum of the Defenders of the Polish Post Office, there is a gilded postman's trumpet. Museum (open every day. except Tues.. 10.00-16.00, sb. i nd. 10.30-14.00) is located on the ground floor on the left. Souvenirs have been collected in one room, weapons and photos related to the tragic defense of the post and its participants. The most valuable exhibit is a small urn filled with soil stained with the blood of defenders shot by the Germans in Zaspa.
From the history of the Gdańsk post office
Already in 1361 r. there were couriers in Gdańsk, who transported private correspondence to other Baltic cities, political and mercantile. Growing in the 15th century. Gdańsk's power required efficient postal communication with larger centers in Poland and other countries. With time, the Gdańsk City Council established the Municipal Messenger Office, headed by the master. The first political conflict, related to the Polish post office in Gdańsk, took place in the mid-17th century., when is the Brandenburg Elector, despite the protests of the City Council, he organized the post office in Royal Prussia. As a result of several years of disputes, Jan Kazimierz established the office of the postmaster, which from that time was under the jurisdiction of the Polish king. When the Free City of Gdańsk came into being after the First World War, the Treaty of Versailles provided Poland with the supervision and management of postal communication, telegraph and telephone, making the postal service independent of the German city administration. W 1924 r. the Polish post office moved into today's building, then at Heweliusza Street.
Do XV w. here stood the castellan's stronghold, od XV w. do XIX w. there was a prison here, a do 1924 r. – military hospital.
The ceremonial opening of the Polish facility, which were honored with the issue of a new postage stamp, it became the source of a serious dispute between the Polish and German governments.
The tragic finale was played out 1 September 1939 r., when, obeying the orders of the General Staff of the Polish Army, postal workers defended by 14 building hours in front of German army and police units convinced, just like the Westerplatians, about the prompt arrival of help. This one, however, did not come. Out of fifty-nine people in the building, fired upon by overwhelming enemy forces, only a few survived. Over thirty of them were shot 5 October at the Zaspa cemetery. Germany, for fear of disclosure of the lawlessness of the execution, they exhumed the body and moved it to places unknown to anyone. Only after it passed 50 years one of the graves was found.